[lug] RH7.1 and remote display of X apps

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Wed Aug 22 21:32:06 MDT 2001

Tkil wrote:

># grep X11 ~tkil/.ssh/config /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>   /home/tkil/.ssh/config:ForwardX11 yes
>   /etc/ssh/sshd_config:X11Forwarding yes
>   /etc/ssh/sshd_config:X11DisplayOffset 10
>
>lovely gratuitous inconsistencies, but oh well.  (also, this is my 6.x
>box here at home -- i don't have a 7.x box handy...)
>
>once you have those values, and restart the sshd on the server side,
>the next connection should automatically set the DISPLAY environment
>variable for the remote shell, and it should work without further
>adjustment.

Except it doesn't. I never used to have X11 forwarding problems with
SSH, but I just went round and round with this problem this evening. I
gave up and noticed this thread.  Forwarding that used to work no longer
does. The application just seems to hang. And there is no error logged
anywhere that I can  see.

In the past if X11 forwarding was turned off at the client or server,
the DISPLAY variable was not set. The DISPLAY variable is set, all of
the config files (server and client) allow X11 forwarding.

This is odd.