[lug] looking for TeX viewer/print

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Aug 23 13:39:12 MDT 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, D. Stimits wrote:

> I'm using an html format resume, and am in a bit of a hurry to do some
> printing. I have html2latex, and html2ps. The problem with html2ps is
> that I can't get rid of its attempt to create an index type header line
> on every page to url links...I don't want anything in the header/footer.

Why can't you just let your browser render the html page, and then select
"file -> print"?

Never heard of html2latex or html2ps.  I've only been interested in going
the other way latex2html.

> The problem with the LaTeX version is that I apparently have nothing to
> directly view the results, or print it.

Depends on what you want to do here?  If you have a LaTeX file it should
be nothing more than pure ASCII text.  So in that sense you can view it
and or print it with any ASCII editor.  Of course, that probably isn't
what you have in mind, but it does let you verify what your source file
looks like.

To print a LaTeX file you first have to run it through the LaTeX processor
to create a dvi file.  That is done by typing:

    latex yourfile.tex

You can then view the dvi file directly using xdvi or you can convert it
to postscript using dvips.

> I have LyX, but the import of
> LaTeX is greyed out, and not available.

I've only tinkered with LyX.  It seemed OK, ... maybe, but since I'd
already invested some time in learning LaTeX it didn't do much for me.  My
guess is that maybe Lyx doesn't think this is a real LaTeX file.  That is
where taking a look with the ASCII pager or editor would be a good
idea.  I think that you'd need at a minimum you'd need to see:

     \begin{document}

     The text of your document here.

     \end{document}

- Wayde