[lug] Socket Error

David dajo at frii.com
Thu Aug 23 14:20:04 MDT 2001

> > # Firewall configuration written by lokkit
> > # Manual customization of this file is not recommended.
> > # Note: ifup-post will punch the current nameservers through the
> > #       firewall; such entries will *not* be listed here.
> > :input ACCEPT
> > :forward ACCEPT
> > :output ACCEPT
> > -A input -s 0/0 -d 0/0 -i lo -j ACCEPT
> > -A input -s 216.17.128.1 53 -d 0/0 -p udp -j ACCEPT
> > -A input -s 216.17.128.2 53 -d 0/0 -p udp -j ACCEPT
> > -A input -s 0/0 -d 0/0 -p tcp -y -j REJECT
> > -A input -s 0/0 -d 0/0 -p udp -j REJECT
>
> Add "-l" to enable logging on the REJECT lines, then (asssuming RH 7.x)
> restart ipchains (assuming this instead of iptables) via:
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains restart

But isn't it the lo line that possibly is relevant here?

> Test that ipchains really runs (do not use /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains for
> this):
> ipchains -L -n
> (if rules spit out, it is running)
>
> Monitor /var/log/messages with "tail -f -n 30 /var/log/messages" while
> trying your app. It'll tell you if it is the firewall doing the
> rejection.

I tried this.  There was no messages activity at all.  That is good,
though: it eliminates the firewall.  I never was quite comfortable
with that explanation.

> In any other case, it probably means that your X11 ports do not have any
> sort of daemon set to accept tcp/ip (local uses udp). The related
> possibility is authentication failure (a recent topic).
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

Now this is interesting.  I looked briefly at the man page for xauth
this morning, I stopped when I saw it was for X.  But maybe that was
bad thinking.  Can you help some more with this (I know that you are
busy with xdvi 8-)

dajo