[lug] Socket Error

David dajo at frii.com
Thu Aug 23 14:35:09 MDT 2001

>   Let me see if I understand, you can connect to a remote machine
> with a socket but not a local file?

That is correct.  All I want is a byte stream in my code, the language
clearly offers the possibility of connecting to a file on the local
machine using the language's socket mechanism (is that standard in C,
Java, etc.?).

>                                      Is it possible that your function
> call is still trying to make a connection to a socket.  Hmmm, but your
> loopback interface should be open according to the ipchains stuff you
> sent, so that's not it.  ( Check by telneting to the socket on your
> local machine. )

How do I telnet to "the" socket on my local machine, please?

>   If it's not that funny language with all the parentheses that you
> like, :-) can you send a bit of the code?

Darn it - it is.  But here it is anyway.  It is hardly difficult, and
barely informative.  All the smarts are in the make-socket function.

I do think that the correct "No such file or directory." message, and
the fact that the message changes when the file exists, taken together
tell us something;

> Scott

(defun  establish-internet-stream  (host  port)
  (socket:make-socket  :type :stream
                       :format :bivalent
                       :address-family :internet
                       :connect :active
                       :remote-host host
                       :remote-port port))

(defun  establish-file-stream  (filename)
  (socket:make-socket  :type :stream
                       :format :bivalent
                       :address-family :file
                       :connect :active
                       :remote-filename filename))

<snip>
  (with-open-stream
   (stream  (establish-internet-stream
             (uri-host uri)
             (or (uri-port uri) 80)))
<snip>

<snip>
  (with-open-stream
   (stream  (establish-file-stream
             "/home/dajo/WORK/more/dir/konqueror8Do89a.tmp"))
<snip>

dajo