[lug] Tracking Connections

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Thu Aug 23 16:03:11 MDT 2001

Is there any way you could get trippy and write an ipchain that snags every
incoming ftp hit and does a traceroute and port scan back onto it? (But
still passes the packet through to your ftp service.)  That way you could
get them while there online and might be able to get some more info.

I seem to remember that ipchains can conceptually bump a connection off to a
pipe/trigger a script.  I may be completely whacked in thinking this, but
it's an idea...  I'm sure there are a billion reasons not to do this even if
it is possible (performance hits, etc...) but I figured I'd throw it out
anyway.

Anyone want to chime in on my insanity (oh, well, that's probably a BAD
thing to ask...)

Jim