[lug] Kingston Switching Hubs

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Aug 23 22:36:15 MDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 09:40:14AM -0600, Warren Sanders wrote:
>> Does anyone here have experience with this brand of switch? Is
>>it reliable, or is it more like the SMC 10/100 hub at my previous
>>employer? (it would go catatonic every month or so)
>
>Gee I hope the SMCs (16 port switch) we just got for $200 each don't do
>that!

I hope so too...  A few years ago I had a few of the SMC 8-port 10/100
switches that would periodically freak out -- maybe ever month or so...
That combined with SMC changing the chipset of the "EtherPower" from the
Tulip to their own proprietary chipset without changing the name kind of
pissed me off.

I was just looking at some Linksys 24-port 10/100 unmanaged switches, but I
think they were more in the $300 range.  I've been pretty happy with the
performance of their 8-port switches though -- especially the 8 LEDs per
port -- gobs of information including seperate TX and RX indicators.

Sean
--
 You know you're in Canada when:  A radio advertisement comes on advertising
 "Buy a case of beer, get a free touque."