[lug] looking for TeX viewer/print

David dajo at frii.com
Fri Aug 24 10:45:27 MDT 2001

> <big snip>
> very cool!  For once, you actually get substance rather than form.
>
> - Wayde

I too was somewhat surprised to read that LaTeX is restrictive.  I
observe that there are a lot of books written in LaTeX; and most
people never know it, it is that good.

I agree with Wayde's comments except for one item, and that is I do
think that there is a need for a better WYSIWYG system.

> It kind of all depends on your definition of WYSIWYG.  If you edit
> LaTeX/TeX in one window and run xdvi in another you've basically got a
> WYSIWYG kind of operation.

The key issue for me is that I want to be able to make a (spelling?)
change on page 456 of a 700 page document that I am viewing in xdvi
and have that change reflected *now*.  As it is I must wait for the
whole darned thing to be re-compiled.  I really do have this (here
over-simplified) problem; and I need to fiddle around sub-setting the
document to minimise the nuisance.

The Tex/LaTeX system needs to be able to re-compile a small piece of
source code and patch it in.  Surely that is what happens with Word?
The kind of effect I envisage would have, as Wayde suggested, two
windows, one with source code, one with the product.  You need the
source code system, rather than a single window with mouse/icon
clickity-click, to keep the substance.

dajo