[lug] wu-ftpd settings problem - xinetd settings ?

Chuck Morrison cmorrison at greeleynet.com
Fri Aug 24 04:59:45 MDT 2001

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the default setup for wu-ftpd as per the default
RH7.1 server install. It works fine except that prior to giving the login
prompt it attempts to find the identity of the user on his/her client
machine. This results in a 30 second timeout if the ftp client doesn't comply
with this request.

The wu-ftpd FAQ gives this very precise suggestion:

"Logins to the ftp server take a long time, after that things run smooth

Possible causes: IDENT (RFC931) lookup is enabled in wu-ftpd. This has a
timeout of 10 seconds. If the protocol (port 113) gets blocked by a firewall
or suchlike, it will wait for timeout. If it is 30 seconds and you are using
redhat 7.x with xinetd, <<YES!!>>>  disable AUTH in inetd as well. Any other
time period: DNS is broken for the IP address the connection is coming from. "

There is no inetd or inetd.conf on this server. There is an xinetd.conf, but
no clue in the xinetd.conf file or man page about turning off AUTH for any
service. This should be really simple but I haven't had to deal with AUTH
before and don't know what to try. Any clues anyone can give me ?

Chuck Morrison
cmorrison at greeleynet.com