[lug] Microsoft drops support for Netscape tools

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Sat Aug 25 11:15:56 MDT 2001

I suppose it's heresy here to suggest that maybe Netscape hasn't
been keeping pace with the functionality of IE, so why should the
Great Retarded Giant sitting on our doorstep to the Northwest
continue support for it? I haven't really checked NN6 too deeply
because when I loaded it on my (Windows) system it wallowed like a
pig. But I've been disappointed at NN 4.7's lack of support for
basic W3 standard web things like CSS, table details, etc. In some
respects, IE just works better.

But I have to grin when I read that one of M$'s reasons for dropping
support is security. Netscape's no threat there. IE already supports
more viruses than Netscape, Mosaic, Opera, and all the rest
combined! ;-)

Are there are any really up-to-date alternatives for web browsers
here in Linux-land? (I'm new to it, and currently my L-box hasn't
got enough memory to run a GUI so I am stuck with Links and Lynx for
the nonce. But I'm working at putting another one together that will
have more memory.)

- Bill Thoen