[lug] looking for TeX viewer/print

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Aug 27 13:38:31 MDT 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

...snip...
>    http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/csuros-miklos/source/resume.cls
>    http://www.rpi.edu/Computing/Consulting/Software/LaTeX/Hints/Resume.html
>    http://web.mit.edu/answers/latex/
>    http://web.mit.edu/answers/latex/latex_resume.html

Ok, I have been convinced about pdf being a good choice of output
formats, with LaTeX as input. I went to the 2nd URL of the above, and
found a resume sample that was pretty close to what I use already, and
want to edit that for myself, which seems relatively painless. While
finding the format I wanted, I used the dvi sample from the URL (one has
to go to the directory named at the URL) for "res9b-2page.dvi", and find
that I can't compile the LaTeX version. When I run latex
res9b-2page.tex, it apparently needs a .cls file, res.cls, which was not
available on the download directory. See:
http://www.rpi.edu/campus/doc/text/Resumes/

While running "latex res9b-2page.tex" it asks for:
! LaTeX Error: File `res.cls' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: cls)

Enter file name:

So are the cls files generated somehow, or must I find this somewhere
and install it? I would assume that means it is looking for this due to
the documentstyle line:
\documentstyle[line,margin,fancyheadings]{res}

I had assumed that the download site would have any necessary style
files to go with the LaTeX files, but maybe not. (Btw, I'm using RH 7.1
with every possible TeX/LaTeX/*TeX*/SGML/Docbook package on it)

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com