[lug] More ReiserFS -- hangs on umount??

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Aug 27 14:54:46 MDT 2001

I had been running ReiserFS on SuSE for a pretty long time without any problems.
  But we are not a SuSE only shop here and are also running several KRUD boxes.
  With the last 2 releases of KRUD I noticed the same problem that you have
seen.  I couldn't unmount ReiserFS partitions on RedHat systems but never had
trouble with any of the 2.4 Kernels on SuSE.  So I assumed that this might be a
kernel bug.  All commercial distros patch their kernels very well but this
ReiserFS problem must have slipped through RedHat's testing.

I downloaded the latest stock kernel (2.4.8), compiled, and - it works.  The
unmounting problem is gone now.

Based on Kevin it is advisable that you recompile your RedHat stock kernel
anyway because they turn on ReiserFS debugging, which can cause significant
performance degradation.

So - use the latest kernel and recompile.  Maybe Kevin can offer a newer or
patched kernel in the next version of KRUD as an option.

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid
http://www.archenergy.com