[lug] looking for TeX viewer/print

David dajo at frii.com
Tue Aug 28 08:23:36 MDT 2001

> What is interesting is that this means \documentclass requires .sty
> files, and \documentstyle requires .cls files (this seems backwards). So
> then the key is not in converting the original .tex file to be
> compatible, but instead to change the .cls file to be compatible?

Dan, this is a total red herring.  The syntax information you need is
this (you will almost certainly need to buy a book):

\documentclass [optionlist] {class}

I have never seen the options line, margin, and fancyheadings, and I
cannot find them in the book I am looking at.  This does not mean a
lot: it claims to be an "advanced" book, which means "buy the basic
book to see what we do not cover"; and my basic book dates back to
\documentstyle - gotta buy another one.

I suggest starting with something a little simpler, say,
\documentclass [12pt] {article}
or
\documentclass [12pt] {res}
and then change one thing at a time to see what happens.  Other
options that you might try are twocolumn, 11pt, titlepage ...

Then move on to line, fancyheadings, etc. and work out where the
missing files are.
> ! Undefined control sequence.
This means, in this case, that a file is missing.  You can create your
own commands like this:
\newcommand{\sprpop} {$\Uparrow$}
and I would guess that is what has happened here; but you are trying
to use something that has not been loaded.

But do use \documentclass; it says in my book that the .sty suffix was
retained because most style files can be used in LaTeX2e without
modification.

dajo