[lug] installing linux with NT Dual boot

Samartha Deva blug-receive at mtbwr.net
Tue Aug 28 14:21:13 MDT 2001

I installed the 2000 first and left part of the HD free for Linux.
Then I installed Linux, changed /etc/lilo.conf to reflect the existing
2000 partition as bootable, ran lilo and it worked. (That was from SuSE 7.0
CD install of a minimal system).

I did the partitioning of the additional disk space for Linux manually
under the rescue system with fdisk.

To be precise, I had to muck around with lilo.conf since my HD I am booting
from was not the first disk recognized by the BIOS but that does not apply
to your situation.

Also, I am running the 2000 partions as FAT because I and to be able to do
r/w access and as far as I followed, the NT FS access works as read only.

I think it was always the way to go to let the M$oft OS do it's install and
then go with Linux tools making it right.

It seems that the M$oft OS's are not used to share their space with any
other OS based on some secrete OEM contract..., see:

http://www.byte.com/documents/s=1115/byt20010824s0001/

  - just kiddin.

The NT install allows you to select a partition for install. I installed NT
on the second partion and it worked fine.

If the NT install wipes out your boot sector (it will), just reinstall lilo
under your installed linux booted from a boot floppy.

You can boot Linux from the NT boot loader or boot NT from the Linux lilo.

The URL given in another post should give you all the details.

Samartha