[lug] Building RedHat's kernel?

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Tue Aug 28 17:13:17 MDT 2001

Hello,

  I'm trying to patch a driver in the 2.4.2 kernel that came with
RH 7.1.  I'd really like to build only that one module and ship
it around, but that requires a valid kernel build in
/usr/src/kernel-2.4.
Correct?  Anyway, I can build a kernel.org version of 2.4.2 without
any problem, but the driver in that build does not match RH's
because of missing dependencies.  ( I used the
config/kernel-2.4.2-i386.config
file that RH ships with their kernel source. )

  Is there some way to compile RH's shipped version of the kernel from
their source tree?  The build fails in "make modules".  My steps are:

rpm -i ( kernel-source-2.4.2-2 source off the 7.1 disk ).
cd /usr/src/kernel-2.4
cp config/kernel-2.4.2-i386.config .config
make clean
make xconfig ( merely save and exit.  You've got to do this step. )
make dep
make
make modules  ( This fails at the first file. )

Is there some issue with the version of gcc?  I have to do nothing
special
with the kernel.org version, which btw builds fine even when I copied
RH's config file as above.  I did switch the Makefile to use kgcc
instead
and it still couldn't build RH's at the make modules step.

Thanks,

Scott