[lug] NT/Linux HOWTO

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Aug 28 17:24:50 MDT 2001

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> I must not be looking at the correct link.
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html
>
> says do NT first.  Of course that document is pretty old.
>
> Scott

It doesn't hurt to do either first, provided you have rescue disks. Then
you can either go back and run lilo again (if lilo is in the MBR), or
run the boot sector restore from NT (if NT boot loader is in MBR). When
I've done this in the past, I always used the NT boot loader in MBR,
installed lilo to the partition instead of MBR, then used dd to create a
file of the 512 byte partition record, followed by booting to NT and
copying it to the root partition. Btw, it is possible to run NT on other
than the first drive, I've had it on the 3rd drive before (it was scsi,
I don't know if that matters). A nice thing here is that you now have a
backup on floppy of the linux partition record that can be restored with
dd at any time if a new lilo messes up (and if you haven't removed old
boot files).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com