[lug] LaTeX, margins, font size

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Wed Aug 29 04:33:02 MDT 2001

| finally, "doing it manually" works out to using "\setlength" to
| modify the values of the lengths used to calculate margins.  the
| weirdness here is that all the lengths are calcluated off a 1.0in
| top and left margin, so the math is a bit goofy.  (this is one
| reason why i prefer the geometry package!)  so, something like this
| should set 1.0in margins all the way around a letter paper:
|
|    % set left margin, relative to the 1.0in offset.
|    \setlength{\oddsidemargin}{0}
|    \setlength{\evensidemargin}{0}
|
|    % letters don't have headers, so...
|    \setlength{\topmargin}{0}
|    \setlength{\headheight}{0}
|    \setlength{\headsep}{0}
|
|    % nor trailers
|    \setlength{\footskip}{0}
|
|    % and, finally, the size of the text box; it's for 8.5 x 11.0
|    % paper, with an inch off each side:
|    \setlength{\textwidth}{6.5in}
|    \setlength{\textheight}{9.0in}

bad me.  "0" by itself is not a valid length -- we always have to
provide a unit.  so, use this snippit instead:

    % set left margin, relative to the 1.0in offset.
    \setlength{\oddsidemargin}{0.0in}
    \setlength{\evensidemargin}{0.0in}

    % letters don't have headers, so...
    \setlength{\topmargin}{0.0in}
    \setlength{\headheight}{0.0in}
    \setlength{\headsep}{0.0in}

    % nor trailers
    \setlength{\footskip}{0.0in}

    % and, finally, the size of the text box; it's for 8.5 x 11.0
    % paper, with an inch off each side:
    \setlength{\textwidth}{6.5in}
    \setlength{\textheight}{9.0in}

t.