[lug] KDE 2.2

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 31 10:54:20 MDT 2001

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> I recall some talk about memory use in X and the speaker mentioned
> that some tools show all of the memory that X has access to, including
> the cache on the video card, the size of the agp bus, etc.

Yes, that seems to be the case.  I just tested re-starting X from the console, and it comes up with SIZE 219M right off the rip, so I don't suspect a leak.  I'd be inclined to believe that this figure includes all those things you mentioned above.  Either way, I'm happy with the performance so far.  Only snag I've run into is that the (binary only) NVidia driver doesn't want to run at 1280x1024, but likes 1152x862 just fine.  I have admittedly not RTFM on the NVidia site.  Has anyone else had success running this driver at higher resolutions?

> I don't
> know is SIZE below is one of those and regardless, 238M seems pretty
> big.  I'm running kde 2.1.1 and not showing anything like the X
> memory usage that you are.  Of course my video card is an old S3 pci
> with
> basically no on-board cache.
>
> Scott
>
> John Hernandez wrote:
> >
> > I'm running RH 7.1 with the recently released KDE 2.2 and KOffice 1.1 RPMs.  The X server has really grown large according to the SIZE field in top (code plus data plus stack space), but I don't really remember how it behaved before.  On the other hand, use of physical memory pages seems to be halfway reasonable, so I guess lots of pages are getting swapped out (I show 53M swap in use).  It's been running for 2 days now, but it rarely runs longer than that before I log out (which returns me to console login).  I haven't noticed a slowdown, but I've got ample RAM to fill.  I also recently configured the NVidia driver, which may contribute to the bloat factor.  Of the KDE processes themselves, I don't show any major hogs, with KDE being the largest at 7M SIZE / 6M RSS.  What does yours show?
> >
> >   PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
> >  9234 me         9   0 17900  16M  9488 S     0.0  6.7   0:07 netscape-commun
> >  7334 root      18   0  238M  16M 11324 R     2.1  6.6   5:50 X

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |