[lug] installing linux with NT Dual boot

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Aug 31 17:51:40 MDT 2001

Michael Deck wrote:

> Just to follow-up and close out this thread. I successfully installed Win2k
> on a machine that had Linux (Krud) and Win98 on it. Without messing with
> any boot loaders. I had LILO already selecting between Linux and Win98, and
> what I did was:
>
> * pop in an extra HDD that I had lying around, and use Linux fdisk to make
> an NTFS partition bootable.
> * on Win2k, I chose "Create New Installation" rather than "Upgrade" and
> asked it to install to the new partition
>
> Lo! When it was all done, I had LILO choosing between Win and Linux, and if
> you pick Win then it pops up the Win2k boot loader which presents the
> choice between Win2k and Win98. It looks like the Win98/NT boot loader
> locates itself in the 1st sector of one of the drives, and I have LILO in
> the MBR.
>
> Now all I have to do is RE-INSTALL ALL MY SOFTWARE because the "Create New
> Installation" creates a new stinking registry. Sigh.

I have experimented with installing of software under 2k directly over
the 98 partition install, such that two separate registries are still
required, but the software is actually in only one place. Didn't work
right, there are different DLL's, and sometimes files present in the
install directories themselves, which indicate version, and the poor
thing gets confused. Even on stuff that appeared to be working, problems
started piling up like dominoes.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com