[lug] installing linux with NT Dual boot

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Fri Aug 31 19:50:32 MDT 2001

At 05:51 PM 8/31/2001 -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
>Michael Deck wrote:
> >
> > Just to follow-up and close out this thread. I successfully installed Win2k
> > on a machine that had Linux (Krud) and Win98 on it. Without messing with
> > any boot loaders. I had LILO already selecting between Linux and Win98, and
> > what I did was:
> >
> > * pop in an extra HDD that I had lying around, and use Linux fdisk to make
> > an NTFS partition bootable.
> > * on Win2k, I chose "Create New Installation" rather than "Upgrade" and
> > asked it to install to the new partition
> >
> > Lo! When it was all done, I had LILO choosing between Win and Linux, and if
> > you pick Win then it pops up the Win2k boot loader which presents the
> > choice between Win2k and Win98. It looks like the Win98/NT boot loader
> > locates itself in the 1st sector of one of the drives, and I have LILO in
> > the MBR.
> >
> > Now all I have to do is RE-INSTALL ALL MY SOFTWARE because the "Create New
> > Installation" creates a new stinking registry. Sigh.
>
>I have experimented with installing of software under 2k directly over
>the 98 partition install, such that two separate registries are still
>required, but the software is actually in only one place. Didn't work
>right, there are different DLL's, and sometimes files present in the
>install directories themselves, which indicate version, and the poor
>thing gets confused. Even on stuff that appeared to be working, problems
>started piling up like dominoes.
>
>D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

Yeah, you know, I got burned by that in the past. I got a copy of NT4.0 a
couple years ago and tried to economize on HDD space by trying that trick.
Ugh. Now that disk space is cheap, I find that I am just buying new larger
drives whenever the old ones get full (wish I could do that with my garage)
and so I had a 6G drive in my box of parts and an empty bay in my box.