[lug] DSL Technical ?'s

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat Sep 1 00:13:22 MDT 2001

Jeremy,

I think you are running primarily into a business decision on Qwest's
part.  The technology is sure there, but Qwest has decided it is not
cost efective to supply DSL to just anyone who asks.  They are picky
about who they will supply to.

Now, at the lengths you are mentioning for your line, there is a high
possibility that you are not on a copper pair at all, but rather a "pair
gain" pair.  This means that your line first rides to a central
distribution point (Cross Box) as a digital signal on some kind of
T1-type carrier ( that might be conditioned copper, or fiber).  Usually
96 virtual "pairs" are put onto a few actual copper pairs (can't
remember the number, something like 4 pairs) by using a digital signal
rather than the plain old low frequency analog pots signal.  At the
cross box, these digitial signals are converted back the to the analog
signal that your phone line expects, and then another, much shorter
segment of copper connects your house to the cross box.  DSL will not
work over one of these pair gain arrangments, as it basically tries to
do the same thing as the pair gain is already doing:  put a higher
frequence digital signal on the line.  Now IDSL is just an ISDN line,
that behaves like a DSL.  The speed you were getting on your SDSL is
only slightly faster than ISDN, so I would not be at all surprised if
you were on some kind of ISDN-type arrangement, eg, the DSL was working
through a pair gain system.

Which companies will choose to offer you DSL is largely based on
econimics, non techicalities, though.  Any one *could* offer you some
kind of high speed net access, the question is do they *chose* to.  Does
the company think it is a good business decision to do so?  Covad,
Rythyms, Jato and the like were hungry for customers, and thus willing
to deploy whatever technology they could to get a customer.  Qwest is an
entrenched monopoly, so they can afford to be much pickier about which
customer's the choose to serve.

So, to summarize, DSL needs a clean copper pair, less than 18K long,
with less than a few thousand feet of bridge tap, and no loid coils.

An ISDN line needs either the above, OR a pair gain pair.  There are a
couple of variety of DSL's that are really just ISDN type services that
will work this way.

The other new piece to the puzzle is the now deploying 'Remote DSLAMS'.
This is how DSL will be offered at the full speeds when the customer is
served by pair gain.  It moves the DSLAM to a box out next to the cross
box.  Thus your pots signal goes to the CO on one channel, and you DSL
goes to the ATM network on another.

Any way, I'm babbling.  I know a lot about this stuff, as I work with
these issues all day at a telecom.

If you were interested, you could email me off list, and I could tell
you exactly what your situation was if you were willing to give me the
phone number or address involved.

HTH

Tim