[lug] adding a new disk to a system

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Sat Sep 1 16:16:21 MDT 2001

I have a system that I added a new disk to and I want to move /home/samba
to be on this new disk.  I also want to move /var to the new disk.

The new disk has two partitions /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb5

I tried the following:

init 1
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/var
mount /dev/sdb5 /mnt/samba
cd /var
tar -cf - *|(cd /mnt/var; tar -xf -)
cd /home/samba
tar -cf - *|(cd /mnt/samba; tar -xf -)
umount /mnt/var
umount /mnt/samba
mount /dev/sdb1 /var
mount /dev/sdb5 /home/samba
init 3

The server is doing file serving and print serving for about 7 windows
ME/2000 clients.  After it gets back to run level 3, the printing no longer
works and a program which functions as a resume database claims that its
database is in need of rebuilding.

/var/log/messages doesn't have anything interesting in it.

What am I doing wrong?

Hugh
System Administrator/Unix Consultant
hugh at vecna.com