[lug] adding a new disk to a system

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Sep 2 09:39:36 MDT 2001

"Dhruva B. Reddy" wrote:

> I haven't been following this thread that closely, but has anyone suggested
> using dd to copy from one raw device to another?

I've suggested that if raw disk access was used for a database, then
standard copy or even cpio won't work...dd *might* work in that case, if
the block size on both devices is the same (but might still fail if
individual inode numbers also had to remain the same...depends on the
raw access database program). I'm not sure if the original problem
though involved an exact copy of complete partitions...if so, then dd
would have some obvious advantages.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com