[lug] Dual monitors on Linux??

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Sep 4 12:48:20 MDT 2001

Thus spoke Shannon Johnston
> Does anybody know if you can run 2 monitors on a linux workstation? Has
> anybody done this?? I would love to have details.

It's called a "dual head" or "multiheaded" display, depending on the number
of monitors/cards you're using.  Essentially, the X server needs to be able
to understand how many cards its driving.  XFree86 supports this in 4.0.x,
though I don't know the details of getting it working.  Xi Graphics
(xig.com) also supports this, and actually has had it since about 1994 or
so.

Note that using multiheaded servers is different than having a bunch of monitors
which act like one big display.  In the former, each monitor is a different
display space - you can't drag a window between two displays and have half
of it on one display and half on the other.  If this latter effect is what
you need, then you also need (aside from multihead) the Xinerama feature
which XFree86 offers.  Xi Graphics probably has something similar, but I'm
not sure what it's called.

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |  If quitters never win, and winners never quit,