[lug] Visio for Linux? Was: stupid MSDN Q

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue Sep 4 20:04:36 MDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, D. Stimits said:

> Even with apic disabled, the i840 will not run vmware at all.

In a similar vein, I recently installed a copy of Visio 5.0 I had
purchased about 2 or 3 years ago.  After installing it, W98 would lock up
my machine hard if I tried booting W98 via a VM - and takes Linux out too.
Made me glad that I had Reiserfs for the 11G Linux partition; I hate to
think how long the e2fsck would have taken, especially since I tried
rebooting it 3 or 4 times while trying various things to see if I could
get it to work, all wih the same result.

Even after booting W98 natively, the machine was very sluggish - the mouse
had a very large latency and felt as if I was running a VNC over a 56kbps
connection.  Then I remembered having a similar problem with Visio under
W95 when I had installed it at the time of purchase.  I don't know what
they did (they must have replaced some key MSW video components), but it
sure messes things up.  Too bad, because I sure could use a nice tool to
do flow charts and network diagrams as a document aid for a project.

Luckily after uninstalling via the Control Panel, VMWare / W98 was
restored to working order; but the latency remains if W98 is booted
natively.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good flow chart app that's native to
Linux?

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net