[lug] Visio for Linux? Was: stupid MSDN Q

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Sep 7 13:48:06 MDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 10:26:40AM -0600, John Hernandez wrote:
>Most developed countries have laws that protect trademarks in a
>very similar fashion to US laws.  If you market a soda product, say,
>"Papsi Cola", you're bound to get in trouble somewhere.  That's my only

IANALEither, but I would think that it would be hard to get a trademark on
a commonly-used word.  That's why it's Itanium without the leading 'T', and
"Pentium", and why all the drug companies make up words that SOUND like
other words relating to what they do...

So, it's "Adobe Illustrator" that has the trademark.  If you say that
"KIllustrator" infringes on "Adobe Illustrator", why don't we just turn
around and pay for the legal defense by sueing Microsoft for infringing on
"X-Windows" (which was around way before "Microsoft Windows")?

Unfortunately, (legal) might makes right...

Sean
--
 But I woke up when somone slammed the door so hard I fell outta bed
 screaming "Mama's little baby loves shortnin' bread".  -- Aerosmith