[lug] on a Sparc 5?

Bill Jorgensen jorg at sysmgrs.com
Sat Sep 8 10:30:40 MDT 2001

Matt James wrote:

> I am attempting to install Linux 6.2 on a Sun Sparc 5.
>  I downloaded the CD images and made the cd's.  Here
> is what i get when I go to install.

I know a little about Sun. I have never tried to install Linux on an
sbus-based, RISK-based system before. (It has always been on a spare PC
that no one wants to use.) A couple of things to note.

1. Your cpu is not Intel-based. It is a Sparc chip that is RISC-based.

2. All the devices on that Sun platform (sun4m) are SCSI not PCI.

Things to look for.

1. Has anyone put Linux on a sbus-based, RISC-based Sun system?

2. Would Linux have the SCSI and memory drivers to interface with Sun?

I do not know the answers, but given the expertise that I read here
daily I am sure that someone can answer that. (My gut tells me no.)

Good luck!

Bill