[lug] CSU hub for IBM mainframe running thousands of Linux VMs

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Sep 10 01:08:29 MDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 02:11:43PM -0600, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> IBM will provide Colorado State's College of Business students and
> faculty with the use of a powerful mainframe. The unique capabilities

Yeah, but the *BUSINESS SCHOOL*?!?  I didn't realize that business students
were great adopters of Linux technology...  "What do you mean we've all got
a dedicated computer but we can't run Office 2000 on them?"  Is this a ploy
to get the CS geeks to take more accounting classes?  ;-)

This reminds me when I was in High School, right across the street from
CSU.  I was taking the Pascal class that the HS offered, and we were all
running on Apple IIes that had been "upgraded" to run CPM so that we could
use the UCSD Pascal system.  That year the business lab had gotten a dozen
or so brand new IBM PCs -- but us lowly computer geeks weren't able to
touch their souped-up typewriters...

To make matters worse, HP was always wanting to donate equipment, but the
school wouldn't take it because their service people only worked on Apples.
Hopefully, the public education system is better a solid decade later...

Sean
--
 "Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant kind of like having a
 peeing section in a swimming pool?"  -- David Broadfoot