[lug] DNS problems?

Gary Frerking garyf at turbopower.com
Thu Sep 13 10:51:18 MDT 2001

I'm having problems with DNS working properly -- and am trying to
determine if it's a local problem, a problem with our ISP, or a general
Internet problem. This has been happening off and on for some time now
(weeks? months?).

Basically, the symptoms are significant delays during lookups (often to
the point of timing out) during "new" lookups (IOW, lookups that are
likely not cached).

Are any of you seeing this kind of thing?

Does anybody have tips for troubleshooting into this? Is there some sort
of "DNS trace route" app that can show me how the lookup is progressing?

Thanks.

-- Gary