[lug] TCP Wrapers and Going After Bad People

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.net
Thu Sep 13 11:19:33 MDT 2001

> Maybe a RedHat expert would be able to shed some light on other tools
> for installing packages.

Not an expert, but you can update/install files over the wire (ftp or http)
quite easily with rpm.  We use it as our internal software distribution
mechanism.  For example, I think the following will work:

rpm -Uhv ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/powertools/i386/RedHat/RPMS/Zope-2.2.5-4.i386.rpm

The -U says "upgrade or install". The -h prints hash marks.  The -v is verbose.

BTW, there's also Kickstart which allows you to install a complete distribution over
the wire.  It's a really handy tool if you have to install a bunch of machines.
I would guess it could be used to do partial upgrades/installs, but we use it
for fresh installs only.

Rob