[lug] TCP Wrapers and Going After Bad People

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Thu Sep 13 12:07:55 MDT 2001

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Rob Nagler said:

> > Maybe a RedHat expert would be able to shed some light on other tools
> > for installing packages.
>
> Not an expert, but you can update/install files over the wire (ftp or http)
> quite easily with rpm.  We use it as our internal software distribution
> mechanism.  For example, I think the following will work:
>
> rpm -Uhv
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/powertools/i386/RedHat/RPMS
/Zope-2.2.5-4.i386.rpm

> The -U says "upgrade or install". The -h prints hash marks.  The -v is
> verbose.

Since SuSE also uses RPM's, I assume that this mechanism would also work
with SuSE.  But of course one would have to substitute the URL for SuSE's
site.  Also since the two distro's are indeed distinct, it's not
recommended to use the RPM's from one distro for the other; but if one
were in a pinch, assuming the pkg of interest wasn't a system core pkg
- and that person had appropriate skills, then it might be possible to do
so in some cases.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net