[lug] TCP Wrapers and Going After Bad People

Warren Sanders sanders at MontanaLinux.Org
Thu Sep 13 12:50:09 MDT 2001

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, D. Stimits wrote:

> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:39:33 -0600
> From: D. Stimits <stimits at idcomm.com>
> To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
> Subject: Re: [lug] TCP Wrapers and Going After Bad People
>
> Rob Nagler wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe a RedHat expert would be able to shed some light on other tools
> > > for installing packages.
> >
> > Not an expert, but you can update/install files over the wire (ftp or http)
> > quite easily with rpm.  We use it as our internal software distribution
> > mechanism.  For example, I think the following will work:
> >
> > rpm -Uhv ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/powertools/i386/RedHat/RPMS/Zope-2.2.5-4.i386.rpm
> >
> > The -U says "upgrade or install". The -h prints hash marks.  The -v is verbose.
> >
> > BTW, there's also Kickstart which allows you to install a complete distribution over
> > the wire.  It's a really handy tool if you have to install a bunch of machines.
> > I would guess it could be used to do partial upgrades/installs, but we use it
> > for fresh installs only.
> >
> > Rob
>
> Don't forget of the alternate that will upgrade if already installed,
> but not install new stuff (so you can name a whole line of package names
> and it'll update only those already installed): "-Fvh" instead of
> "-Uvh". I have to wonder if there is a way to do that over ftp, since
> mget allows some simple wildcards, but URL spec's can't name wildcards
> directly.
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

One of my machines I use Mandrake.  rpmdrake is what they use.  It is rather
nice for you can add new to existing database of sites for rpm source locations
including your CD-ROM and local network.

Just do a search for packages in the uninstalled side and you get a tree
structure showing who has it and what version.  Even compairs the version to
your installed version if it is so.

--
Warren Sanders
http://MontanaLinux.Org