[lug] (no subject)

Abdul khadar K.A. abdul at nestcorp.net
Wed Sep 12 06:35:34 MDT 2001

hi ,
I'm using Samba 2.2.1a to access files in a floppy drive , from a windows
node.
when being  run on top of redhat6.2 with kernel version  2.4.0   ,
supermount 5.3 is showing problems while
saving files which crearte temporary files on the Linux floppy device .  (
Especially software's
like MS-WORD , excel etc. ).

The Error shown is segmentation fault.

we were able to pin point the place where this error occured and three
routines viz.

inline void update_nlink(struct inode *superi, struct inode *subi);
inline void update_ctime(struct inode *superi, struct inode *subi);
inline void update_mtime(struct inode *superi, struct inode *subi);

the pointer to structure passed on to this routine happens to be a null
pointer , when this
error occurs.  I put a check for null pointer and i was able to minimize
errors.

My question is as follows

  Can pointer to struct inode *  be a null pointer ? or was it due to some
other error ?