[lug] NTP Configuration

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Fri Sep 14 09:12:20 MDT 2001

I have a similar problem:

14 Sep 08:58:28 ntpdate[31490]: no servers can be used, exiting

My /etc/ntp.conf is below.  The only change I made from the default
Debian installation was to add some server lines.

Also, my vague understanding is that the system time is independent of
the hardware clock, and that ntp is supposed to keep the system time
correct via ntpd.  There is a command (hwclock --systohc) to bring the
hardware clock to the system clock's time.  Please correct me if I am
wrong.

This is important for me because if I get to a meeting late I may miss
out on the cookies.

Any help appreciated,
Glenn Murray
www.mines.edu/~glenn/public_html/Welcome.html

# /etc/ntp.conf, configuration for xntpd

# ntpd will use syslog() if logfile is not defined
#logfile /var/log/ntpd

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

server time-c.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov
#server time-b.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov
#server time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov
server time.nist.gov