[lug] Sendmail

Greg Horne jeerygh at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 12:01:16 MDT 2001

Check this out!

So I go on a consulting job to a company to set them up with e-mail through
my company.  There e-mail is @company.com, so smtp.company.com is what they
would use for mail servers.  Port 25 for sending and port 110 for receiving.
  I set everybody up, and checking mail was just fine.  When I went to send
a test mail they got the error 10,060, which when I looked it up meant that
their ISP (Netcom) is blocking all outgoing port 25 communication unless is
goes through their mail servers first (smtp.ix.netcom.com).  I sent an
e-mail to netcom and am waiting for a response.  I also looked around the
net and found that to get around this people are using alternate ports for
sending like 2500.  My question is this:  How can I set up sendmail to use
port 25 for e-mail, but also use a new port 2500 for the mail @company.com?
Can these two ports work in tandem or would I have to move all clients to
2500?

Thanks,
Greg Horne

P.S.  A lot Netcom does this blocking of port 25 to other smtp servers to
prevent their users from spamming.  When a coworker of mine talked to them
on the phone they said it was in the terms of use.  Bleh!