[lug] POP3 Question

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Sat Sep 15 14:25:40 MDT 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Kirk Ellsworth said:

> I am running POP3 under the xinet.d daemon.  But would like to run it
> under another daemon by itself for better performance.  Is this
> possible? How could I do this?  Where can I find docs on this?

It would depend on what pop3 binary you're running.  On my SuSE 7.x
system, the binary used is called "popper" aka qpopper, I believe.  In
essence, you would want to run it as a daemon, as you state.  That might
require re-compilation, if it is a compile-time option, and wasn't
compiled that way when it was included in your distro.

$> man popper

DESCRIPTION
       Qpopper  is  a  POP3 server to enable POP3 clients to read
       and download mail. This server implements the POP protocol
       defined  in  RFC  1939  and the RFC 2449 extensions.  This
       implementation  runs  on  a  variety  of  Unix  platforms,
       including Linux.

OPTIONS
       [address][:][port]
              If compiled as  a  standalone  daemon  (instead  of
              being  run from inetd ), you can can specify the IP
              address and/or port number to bind to  at  run-time
              as  parameter 1, e.g., 'popper 199.46.50.7:8110 -S'
              or 'popper 8110 -S -T600'.  If not  specified,  the
              IP  address defaults to all available.  The default
              port is 110 except when _DEBUG (not  simply  DEBUG)
              is defined, then it is 8765.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net