[lug] C++ libraries in Linux

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Sep 15 19:31:38 MDT 2001

"Keith C. Herold" wrote:

> Okay, so there have to be some library references that ship with the linux
> distros (as part of gcc).  Where might they be if I wanted to find them?
> Or, where are the header files, at least?
>
> Anyone have a good C++ library reference in printed form they recommend?
> Not a "how to program" book, but a solid listing of the libraries, and a
> description of the calls?
>
> How about the web?
>
> --Keith

Depends on distro, but mainly on version of g++ you have (gcc is the C
compiler). Current versions seem to be under /usr/include/g++-2/ or
/usr/include/g++-3/, the newer ones have "-3".

For books, you probably want Stroustrup (he wrote C++, you'll know it
when you see it), plus something on STL and one specifically titled "The
Standard C++ Library" (by Plaugner).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com