[lug] C++ libraries in Linux

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Sep 16 00:03:27 MDT 2001

"Keith C. Herold" wrote:

> > For books, you probably want Stroustrup (he wrote C++, you'll know it
> > when you see it), plus something on STL and one specifically titled "The
> > Standard C++ Library" (by Plaugner).
> >
> > D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com
> >

> Hmmm.  A search of amazon says that Plaugner wrote an STL book, "The C++
> Standard Template Library".  Is that the book you meant?  There is another
> book, "The C++ Standard Library" by Josuttis, which seem to be broader.  Did
> you mean to get the STL book by Plaugner, and the Josuttis book?

The Plaugner STL book is probably good for STL, though I can't swear by
it. The book I have though and meant is ISBN number 0-13-117003-1. It
might be more accurate to call it "The Draft Standard C++ Library". If
there is a newer edition that's fine, but it is already head of fairly
recent g++ libraries. In reality, STL was absorbed into the C++ standard
library, but a lot of people still make the distinction, and you need a
good STL book to take advantage of C++.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com