[lug] C++ libraries in Linux

S. Luke Jones luke at frii.com
Sun Sep 16 20:38:09 MDT 2001

Tkil wrote:
> a bit rough around the edges, but it is probably the best dead-tree
> reference to the STL, as well as providing some examples of use (which
> sroustrup 3rd/special also does).  the online references, however, are
> free.  :)

What online references might those be? I was struck a few months back when,
looking for the C++ equivalent of Sun's comprehensive Java standard library
web reference, I was unable to find much.  Plauger (actually his company
Dinkumware) has a little online content but it's set up so it's harder to
use the online material that it would be to have a thousand people each
xerox a page at random and fax it to you for you to put together into a
dead tree volume of your own.

As to the comments by others about Plauger and MSVC... I didn't know he did
that one, although that's the business he's in, so I'm not surprised either.

On the other hand, is it fair to assume that when a botched implementation
of a standard comes out of Microsoft, the cause was incompetence? I should
think not. I haven't seen much of his code, but he did co-write with BWK
(of K&R fame) "The Elements of Programming Style" and "Software Tools,"
both of which are IMHO essential reading for any serious programmer.

--
Luke Jones = luke/vortex/frii/fullstop/com