[lug] ssh warning

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Mon Sep 17 08:46:19 MDT 2001

Hi,

When I tried to ssh to my cvs server this morning I was told:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
Add correct host key in /home/glenn/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.

I am not the administrator on the server and I am not sure what to do.
Does this mean that the administrators on the server changed
something?  Does it mean I have been hacked?  Who is responsible for
the RSA host key?

Thanks for any help,
Glenn Murray
www.mines.edu/~gmurray/public_html/Welcome.html