[lug] C++ libraries in Linux

Kelly Brock krbrock at pacbell.net
Mon Sep 17 22:57:19 MDT 2001

Hi,

> As to the comments by others about Plauger and MSVC... I
> didn't know he did
> that one, although that's the business he's in, so I'm not
> surprised either.
>
> On the other hand, is it fair to assume that when a botched
> implementation
> of a standard comes out of Microsoft, the cause was
> incompetence? I should
> think not. I haven't seen much of his code, but he did
> co-write with BWK
> (of K&R fame) "The Elements of Programming Style" and
> "Software Tools,"
> both of which are IMHO essential reading for any serious programmer.

	You are absolutely correct about this not *always* (though given the
several/many good things that *do* exist, I wonder) being caused by
incompetence.  The issue at hand was an ANSI STL reference though, the
Plaugner book tends not to be exactly ANSI compliant in several areas simply
because the version shipped with MSVC is not exactly compliant.  Hence, my
big bold capitals were not really caused by personal dislike or issues with
Plaugners writing style or anything else.  I would simply save some folks
from falling into several traps caused by non-ANSI implementations and
topics from his book.  I know how much of a pain it was for me when finally
getting rid of the Plaugner implementation, I'd rather save others that
pain.

	Just a note, please don't ask what those issues were.  I switched to SGI
STL a *long* time ago and then to STLPort more recently.  (STLPort is what
gcc is using I believe?)  Anyway, when I read through the Plaugner book I
realized that several things just didn't work as coded in the book under
STLPort, some big items some small items.  Getting the Josuttis book cleared
everything right up.

	Regards,

	Kelly Brock
	The Sims Online