[lug] Code Rainbow: New attack, MUCH nastier...

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Sep 18 12:07:42 MDT 2001

"Michael J. Hammel" wrote:

> Thus spoke Sean Reifschneider
> > Starting at around 7am mountain time this morning (you know, exactly a week
> > from last Tuesday at 9am eastern time) a new Code-Red-like worm has started
> > pounding the heck out of the network.  It's interesting to note that there
> > wasn't really a ramp-up time, at 7:20am or so mountain time we just
> > suddenly started getting pounded on at around 40KB/sec.  New, around 2.5
> > hours later it's up to 60KB/sec.
> >
> > They're calling it "Code Rainbow":
> >
> >    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/170225.html
>
> Ick.  Why don't I see any attempts in my logs?  I can see the cable modem
> data light flashing away like gangbusters, but no DENY notes in my logs.
> Have I yet *another* thing to turn on in my RH 7.1 configuration?  *sigh*

Are you using ipchains or iptables (use lsmod if you use a module on
2.4.x kernel and want to know which is loaded)? Do your rules say to
log? Personally I'm seeing an average of one hit each 5 to 10 seconds,
but most of them are from just a few ip's:
209.60.35.6
209.179.196.94
209.60.71.253
209.94.17.4
209.173.167.194
209.150.214.116
209.249.102.144

As it happens, I'm using a 209.60.72.* address. See any patterns there?
I suspect the worm has a defective random IP scheme that doesn't try a
very wide range of IP's.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com