[lug] Code Rainbow: New attack, MUCH nastier...

Samartha Deva blug-receive at mtbwr.net
Wed Sep 19 01:08:24 MDT 2001

(there was one earlier than today in the log, that's why the -n 2 ):

grep -E '(root.exe|cmd.exe|winnt)' /var/log/httpd/*access* | head -n 2
....com-access_log:wi87-210.airturbo.com - - [18/Sep/2001:07:21:39 -0600]
"GET /MSADC/root.exe?/c+dir HTTP/1.0" 404 291

now this should give the total count of hits:

grep -E '(root.exe|cmd.exe|winnt)' /var/log/httpd/*access* |  wc
   42012  420120 7119486

I got pretty annoyed by that stuff after a while and made the effort to
install snort on the firewall (finally :-) but the resp option enabled on
the relevant
lines still caused traffic.

Interestingly, the vision18.rules from http://www.whitehats.com/ids/
would not contain the strings cmd.exe nor root.exe in their rules but the
standard rules coming with snort had at least the cmd.exe.

Then I made a  script to go after tail -f of the alert log, extract the IP
numbers and block the IP's in the firewall. It's not 100 % yet, still
duplicate
blocks of the same IP numbers but at least it's quieter now. I think it is a
timing issue of tail -f, by the time the tail pipes into the script, the first
2 - 10 hits already happened.

Ideal would be to have snort add the rules to ipchains right away. Has anyone
done something like that - maybe the post processor feature of snort can be
used
when an alert with a certain number is triggered?

Samartha