[lug] Who is hiring?

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Wed Sep 19 16:07:16 MDT 2001

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, D. Stimits wrote:

> > I think many of the subscribers of this list are also looking for jobs
> > (like myself).
> > Perhaps we should have a lug-jobs list where job listings can be posted
> > and forwarded.

We've never specifically discouraged job postings here.  We've only asked
for restraint.  I don't see anything wrong with the occasional Linux
specific job posting.  The problem is that things would get kind of messy
if all 406 of you started posting resume's.

As far as the lug-jobs goes, we've thought about it before.  The only
reason(s) it hasn't happened is:

   - BLUG is a volunteer ogranization and to make this happen would
     require someone to volunteer to create and maintain this service

   - There are already a number of job search engines out there.  Heck
     just do a web search on jobs.  You will find a good number of such
     services already in existance.  These services are already
     established and probably reach a larger audience than what we can
     provide with our own service.  That means your resume might get seen
     by someone other than just those who subscribe to a subset of the
     BLUG list.

   - Subsetting the BLUG main discussion list tends to fragment up the
     group, and complicates things a bit (more things to watch and more
     places to post).

   - The CLUE group already has created a Linux Job list for Colorado
     <http://clue.denver.co.us/>.  It makes more sense for people to
     subscribe to that list to create a larger interest pool than for each
     of the LUG's to divide up the jobs in the area onto their own lists.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)