[lug] "testing ports"

KRITZBERG DAVID OWEN David.Kritzberg at Colorado.EDU
Wed Sep 19 21:15:25 MDT 2001

At the console window, right after entering a print request, this some
strange text appeared at my bash prompt.  My prompt reads "[david][david]"
and for example I didn't add the ellipses or leave anything out.  I quote
verbatim:

[david][david] Winbond Super-IO detection, now testing ports 3F0, 370,
250, 4E, 2E ...
SMSC Super-IO detection, now testing Ports 2F0, 370 ...

What does this mean?  I hope that it is just that I don't know linux well
at all.  I thought I had better ask if I have been hacked, and was just
being told about it due to some quirk. I'm running Mandrake 8.0 on an
average x85 pc.  One thought I had was that I was in text mode, and
Mandrake likes me to use CUPS or xpp for printing, and I entered 'lp
filename' at the command line level instead.  Maybe the system was looking
for the printer.  Where should I read up on this stuff, if that is not too
obvious a question?

Thanks,
Dave

David Owen Kritzberg (david.kritzberg-at-colorado.edu)
Department of Economics, University of Colorado at Boulder
Campus Box 256, Boulder CO 80309-0256
Tel: 303-492-7709 Fax: 303-492-8960

Shut up, be happy. The conveniences you demanded are now mandatory.
        -- Jello Biafra