[lug] "testing ports"

B O'Fallon bof at pcisys.net
Wed Sep 19 22:25:58 MDT 2001

Hello,

I have this same messages with RedHat 7.1, but it happens during bootup. It
happens just before I get the login prompt, with the messages appearing and
preventing the login prompt from being displayed. However, when I hit
<Enter>, the prompt will appear and I can log in.

In their answer to my message to the folks at CUPS, they said this may be
from serial port drivers that are erroniously putting output to the console
as the serial port backend scans for serial ports.

They suggested that I remove the serial port support by deleting the file

    /usr/lib/cups/backend/serial

I did, and it did not solve the problem.

So I just ignore it: it doesn't seem to affect anything and CUPS prints just
fine. Ain't computers grand? <g>

You might, however, try updating to a newer version of CUPS (I believe that
1.1.10 is the latest) and see if this solves the problem. (This didn't help
me, but it might be worth a try).

BOF