[lug] mpeg hardware encoding

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Sep 20 12:25:44 MDT 2001

Thus spoke Ferdinand Schmid
> of around 240 lines.  The MiniDV standard offers around 400 lines, which I
> would/need to take advantage of.
> Apple offers a complete solution that even includes a DVD writer at a reasonable
> price but I wanted to see if there was a cheaper way of doing what I need to do.

To my knowledge there is no such beast for Linux.  While the hardware may
exist, I'm not aware of public (or even proprietary) drivers for the
devices.  That doesn't mean they don't exist, but I haven't seen anything
about it.  Video processing is one of the areas of real weakness in the
application market for Linux (along with real DTP and to some extent vector
graphics).

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |  If you can't be kind, at least have the decency