[lug] firewall question (disregard)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Sep 20 16:04:23 MDT 2001

If the machine is a nameserver (I don't think you're doing this, but
hey...) that hosts a large zone that will respond with a lot of NS
records, it can cause the packet size to go larger than a standard
single UDP packet which will cause named to switch to TCP mode.  TCP's
also used for authoritative zone transfers.

If you're running a caching nameserver on a webserver to increase
performance, for example, you have to allow incoming TCP sessions to the
named on the box also or some sites will appear to be down when they're
really not.

  Lots of people forget named uses TCP and forget to open it in their
firewalls, especially when running their own caching nameservers for
lookups only.