[lug] trouble locally browsing files with php3?... extensions

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Fri Sep 21 04:12:33 MDT 2001

Sorry. I'm on a few PHP lists so I didn't see this one had come from the BLUG.

> > I have a collection of files which have filenames
> > ending in "php3?..." where the "..." part is different
> > for each file.  These files comprise a FAQ that I
> > downloaded using wget because it is not available as a
> > tarball.  My browser doesn't seem to like the question
> > marks in the filenames.
>
> I suspect you didn't save the web page, but instead saved the php
> program. The question mark is the argument passed to the php program.
> But try quoting...renaming it...as example, pretend the name is
> php3?abc:
> mv "php3?abc" abc.html

There shouldn't be any filenames that include the question mark. Delete everything after that in the file names. Don't rename them to .html if you need the dynamics of the pages.

> > I know I could just rename the files to not have the
> > question mark in them, but I suspect that would break
> > all the links in each file.

Actually it will fix the problem ( or atleast *that part* of the problem ).

> > Any suggestions?
>
> If you downloaded a php3 program and don't run it with a php capable web
> server, it is probably broken anyway...it's active content, not a static
> page.

Yeah, you'll need apache. Everything after the ? is translated by apache and php to create the dynamic parts of the next page.

If this is a FAQ and you don't have a decent amount of time, you may wanna leave it on the server. If it was a manual I would say it MAY be worth setting a server up, but I'd never set up apache if it's only going to serve a faq. Just a suggestion.

John