[lug] looking for some apps

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat Sep 22 13:22:26 MDT 2001

I like XCdroast for gui cd burning.  KDE and GNOME also have decent
ones, but I don't remember the names now.  The command line tools are
actually really easy, too:

mkhybrid -r -o img.iso *
cdrecord -v dev=0,1,0 speed=4 blank=fast -data = img.iso

This will make an ISO file system, with Rock Ridge extensions and all
info left the same for backup, of whatever is in the current directory.
It then blanks a CR-RW, and writes the image to the cd.

For some reason I can only get mkhybrid on my Debian testing system, but
maybe mkisofs works the same way.

As far as Java, Blackdown makes a good open source one.  IBMs is what I
am currently using, but I think it is closed source, if that bothers
you.

Tim