[lug] Getting X started - or, more properly, stopped

Kenneth D. Weinert kenweinert at home.com
Sat Sep 22 18:53:25 MDT 2001

OK, this is very odd.

I've had problems getting X to work on this ancient video card of mine
(Monster Fusion/Voodoo Banshee.) With Sean's advice I finally got back to a
3.3.6 version of the X server. I still had problems, but finally had the
brilliant idea of re-running Xconfigurator :)

This actually appeared to work. I could start X both as root and as a
normal user. Then I had to reboot into Windows so my wife could play her
games (hmmm, about time to throw together a few more odds and ends and make
a system for her :)

The mistake I made at the end of Xconfigurator was to tell it to auto start
Xwindows when I log in.  Every time now that I've tried to start up linux
and it tries to go into X mode it fails.  You can see it try what appears
to be 3 different modes, then I'll get about 3 seconds of a text screen
with a login prompt.  This, unfortunately, is insufficient to actually log in.

Any pointers on how to get this out of init 5 and back into init 3 will be
*greatly* appreciated.

Also any ideas on why a working X setup would fail the next time I reboot
the machine would be appreciated also.

Thanks.